Friday, March 29, 2013

What's Important???

As educators, there are numerous items that are important for us to spend time on to help students and teachers.  Curriculum, instruction, professional development, scheduling, activities, etc. keep us running from one place to another to make our schools the best they can be.  However, over the past 18 months I have come to realize the importance of something that sometimes gets neglected - family.

My wife, Shelley, has faced some serious health issues over the past year and half that has required me to be out of the building more than ever before.  (She is going to be fine - today is the last 'treatment' in a long series!)  As I have taken time to help her through this ordeal, I realized that I had been placing her (and my sons) behind my career success.  How unfair to them!  As I sit here with her during her final treatment, I realize how I have changed my priorities back to where they should be - God first (without Him I don't know how we would have made it through), family second, and career third.  I have come to understand that I am a better principal when I take care of things at home first. 

My encouragement to my fellow administrators - take time for your family and let them know by your ACTIONS that they are important to you.  As you work to impact the future through your career, make sure that your most significant impact is on the future of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment